The purpose of WCDM and the five affiliates (local municipalities), is to share the responsibility for local government in their areas, and to ensure that all communities, particularly disadvantaged communities, have equal access to resources and services. WCDM assist local municipalities, who don’t have the capacity in finances, facilities, staff or knowledge to provide them with services to enhance their communities.
Key Functions of the WCDM
- develop the district as a whole;
- Municipal health services for the area;
- bulk supply of water; electricity; sewerage purification and disposal, as well as;
- fire-fighting services for the whole region;
- promoting local tourism in the district; and
- providing a good infrastructure.